Shabby Number 39

Shabby Number 39
Bienvenue - Welcome

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Projects for Home

I guess it would be kind of fun to have a special spot where I can keep track of all the furniture rescues that I've decided to keep, transform and find a place for in my home.  Moving has made me take stock of what I have, what I love and what needs to be "changed" to suit it's new environment.  It is a lot of fun to find a piece that is just for yourself.  So many times there are pieces that I want to keep and fall in love with but I have to keep a head on my shoulders because it's my profession and work.  I cannot be a collector or I would soon run out of room.  In fact, that is how many of my antique friends became shops (they had too much stuff acquired over the decades) and decided they should start selling instead of hoarding.  LOL 

I'm pretty good and trying to control clutter and balance the space so that it's not too sparse or too cluttered for the way we live.  Having a busy family with three growing children and always a menagerie of furry companions (dogs & cats), there is some clutter to be dealt with and plenty of dust, fur and accidents.  Lucky I love old vintage, chippy furniture with some distressing and patina as it's about the only furniture that looks nice over time as opposed to looking like it was hit by a weed wacker . 

Arts & Crafts Style Arm Chair
I'm just going to post pictures of furniture as I work on it ready for it's new home and then it will be interesting to see it in the space. 

The barley twist arts & crafts style antique chair was in pretty good condition.  I liked the fabric but it needs a bit of colour and repairs to the silk trim.  I tea stained the silk trim to give it an antiqued and deeper tones that the original gold.







The drop leaf with drawer antique table was a beautiful find.  The fluted curved legs with brass tips, the little drawer and made from cherry wood.  I have been in a green and yellow mood lately and I thought that this little table would work well in the family room off the back of my house.  It's a solarium style space with windows and plenty of outdoor light.  I have a pair of old Charleston style sleigh bed sofas in neutrals.  Green of the table would compliment the green from outdoors.

The funny thing is people are so use to me painting in colour that even the my kids were surprised to see the next set of neutral antique whites being painted.  I finally after a whole year got around to repairing and painting my ladder back country chairs and the oak pedestal table.  I'm not sure whether or not I'll pair them as I still have the dining room table to paint.  I also have 4 oval back dining room chairs.  Again I'll have to assemble the pieces and see what looks best with what but at least there will be two tables.  

So quite the departure from colourful boho, to shabby, quite French Country whites.  



ladder back chairs (being painted and repaired)
 
round oak pedestal table - French Country (white - soft distressing)
 

Another neutral project.  This was a piece given to me by a friend.  It was designated to be scrapped.  The veneer to the top of this bottom-hutch piece was removed.  A mixture of chalk paint and pewter glaze to give it a French gray finish.  Hopefully this will make a lovely bench (low console) either in the master bedroom or somewhere.  I don't know where but I will find a space for it.  It's a keeper.
(drying before applying pewter glaze)
 
 
 
My next project will be my hideaway desk - finally.  Even in it's rough shape it has been serving me well to store paints, papers and other art supplies.
 
 I've just been steam-rolling along with getting projects done.  I guess after putting them off for a long time I'm eager to tackle them and see things finished.  Nothing like a move to push you into finishing things that you've put on the "B" list. 
 
Finally my hideaway desk has been reworked!
 

 
We realized that the Queen Anne painted bedroom set would just not fit into the new space.  I decided no time better than the present to tackle the Malcolm French Provincial Set.  It was slightly smaller and I've just been in the mood to paint things in shades of gray!
 


 
Next projects are tables!!  After 2.5 years the dining room table is finally going to be reworked. 


No comments:

Post a Comment